Monday, August 1, 2022

Quiet, obedient, and good

We were back in town over the weekend, attending a weekend Bible conference. I was thumbing through the song book and found an old friend:

There once was a wild little donkey,
He had to be tied to a tree,
And Jesus was thinking about him;
He said, "Go and bring him to Me."

And when they had brought him to Jesus
As quickly as ever they could,
That restless, that wild little donkey
Was quiet, obedient and good.

When Jesus was riding upon him,
He went just the way that he should,
A quiet, submissive wee donkey
Made so by the blest Son of God.

And Jesus is able to make you
Whatever He wants you to be.
He loves you and longs to forgive you
And make you both happy and free.

It's a favorite of the under-four crowd: at least one of them requests "The donkey song" when given a chance. They seem to lose interest when they get to school age, which is a pity. I think my own [teen-aged] kids were probably embarrassed when I'd sing it in the car on the way home from meeting.

Every once in a while someone wants to sing "Yield not to temptation." I think if we just sang "The donkey song" instead, we'd be in much better shape.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Paul's first recorded prayer was 'Lord, what wilt thou have me to do'? He went on to receive an 'abundance of revelations'. I could not prove it, but I think no matter how much he grew in knowledge, he kept on praying that prayer.