Monday, October 15, 2007

Hymnbooks

I can't sing to save my soul. I Katzenjammer at the top of my lungs driving to and from work, but I know my singing is terrible: I don't do it much where anyone can hear me. But as I read the New Testament, I see lots of places where singing is encouraged (or even commanded) and none suggest the quality of sound that's produced matters. So I consider my singing sacred, if not any good.

I have an objection to the music I see and hear in most churches these days. I've commented on it before, but to quickly re-iterate: I consider the whole "worship team" phenomenon a travesty, because it takes something Scripture contemplates as interactive and replaces it with a performance. But even in churches where the singing is largely interactive, I've noticed a trend away from actual hymns written for congregational singing and towards songs written to be performed. I'm not saying they're bad songs, just that the vast majority of people can't sing them. So making me try to follow some (possibly wonderful) song made famous by some professional singer or another doesn't really move me to worship: I don't hear a wonderful song, I hear many people (like me) slaughtering it.

But I didn't actually set out to regale you with my curmudgeonly views.

I remember several years ago a friend told me a professor of his in Bible School had encouraged his students to keep a hymnbook to use in their devotions. I had already stumbled across that through experience, but I find it's excellent advice. Singing is part of worship, and no less a part of individual worship.

So I have a few hymnbooks. Most (all?) of my hymnbooks are of a "brethren" persuasion, which ought not to surprise anyone. Here's the list of my hymnbooks I can remember off the top of my head:

  • Spiritual Songs: I have several of these: some in leather, the rest in hardcover. This is probably my favourite hymnbook: it's the 1978 hymnbook from the "reunification" of "grant", "kelly", "booth", "stuart", and "nhh brethren," to name a few. So it's basically a convergence of several versions of Little Flock, but with some jewels from people like CAC thrown in.

  • Little Flock: my copy is old and battered, but I still love it. It was a gift from my wife before we got married.

  • Believer's Hymn Book: this is what I grew up with---the classic "open brethren" hymnbook. My copy is leather-bound, and has music in it. Those two features cost me a pretty penny back in '92 or so. I sometimes wish I was in an assembly that uses BHB, just so I could use this book once in a while. I think I've taken it to fewer than two dozen meetings since I bought it.

  • Hymns of Worship and Remembrance: this is the black, hard-bound hymnbook so popular among "chapels." It was supposed to be an improvement on the Believer's Hymn Book, and it is in some ways. I had them engrave my name in the front cover when I bought it, just in case I ever take it to a meeting. I don't want it misappropriated.

  • Redemption Songs: old-school "chapel" gospel hymns. Good stuff.

  • Choice Hymns: gospel hymns. It's all right, but nothing brilliant.



So why do I have some many hymnbooks? Part of it's culture: in many "brethren" circles, you're expected to bring your own hymbook to the meetings. But part of it is devotional: singing quietly by myself is actually part of worship and devotion.

I frequently find myself remembering a line from a hymn I sang at one meeting or another: having a hymnbook there helps me remember exactly what it was we were singing. And perusing a hymnbook can be a good way to start out worshipping. A few idle moments can turn into a private little worship service.

6 comments:

Stace' said...

One of the sweetest treasures I have is a little 3"x3" pocket hymnal my Mother gave me. It stays in my purse. No telling when I may need the comfort those "oldies" provide.

Amen!!

Unknown said...

The two hymnbooks were part of my
hertiage as a young person were
THE RED BOOK: REDEMPTION HYMNS songs and the BLACK BOOK: BELIEVERS
HYMNBOOK.

Redemption Songs were used with the
Jamacian men who came to pick oranges in Florida as they liked
this book better than the Choice
Hymns.

The CHRISTIAN BOOK ROOM of Hong Kong has an interesting gospel tract on music.

A small assembly can not compete
with a Vineyard style church with the praise team and big band.

It has been a very long time since
I have heard sang the old time
revival hymn SOFTLY AND TENDERLY
JESUS IS CALLING COME HOME.

It is nice to be able to come home
to our worship hymns which are
unique to our Breaking of Bread
morning meetings.

"Oh for a thousand tongues to sing
our Great Redemers's Name!"

Unknown said...

Hi. I recently moved to an assembly who uses the BHB without music and I was googling where I could find one with music and your blog popped up. Would you know where I could find one?

clumsy ox said...

Sarah,

BHB with or without music is the same. Mine has music, most don't.

You can get BHB from Gospel Folio Press (http://shop6.mailordercentral.com/gospel/Believers-Hymn-Book-Large-Print/productinfo/J%2D1686/) .

Martin Jones said...

If you are looking to add to your Brethren hymnbook collection try Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs or Gospel Songs, both available from www.hayespress.org

Unknown said...

Big gaps in comments :-) I am looking for a source for "Hymns for Remembrance & Worship", not to be confused with "Hymns for Worship & Remembrance". Helping out with some peripheral efforts related to the launch of the new Believers Hymn Book, and apparently this is the source for some of the newly included hymns. Thanks (acorduan@gmail.com)