Saturday, September 27, 2014

Olives

Zechariah tells us that the Lord will come back and stand in the Mount of Olives. When He does, the mountain will split down the middle (Zechariah 14:3-5). Then He'll travel up from the mountain into the east gate of Jerusalem (Ezekiel 44:1–4).

My friend Caleb says that all through the Gospels, whenever Christ is on the mount of olives, He is sitting, not standing. As Caleb says, if He were to stand there it would split in two, and it wasn't time for that yet.

I haven't actually fact-checked him on that, but I thought I'd share it.

1 comment:

Caleb said...

I fact checked myself, but please do it too. Christ is never mentioned as standing on the Mount of Olives, it is mentioned as a transit point of travel so one would assume He is walking etc. The point is the biblical record is pretty exact in it's language, that is what I find so interesting.

Matthew 24:3
Mark 13:3

You read about Him going to the Mount, traveling from the Mount, but never in the Gospels does it mention the word stand or stood in connection with the Mount of Olives. In fact it is careful to mention that He was seated.

It would be interesting to go look at where Jesus was standing or stood. I can think of a few, stood before Pilate, stood in the synagogue to read, the mount of transfiguration, stood in their midst in John 20, stood on the beach in John 21, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink..."

That would be an interesting study.