Friday, October 8, 2021

Careful speech

For various reasons that don't matter at the moment, I've been much more exposed to mainstream Protestantism over the last few months.  I've recently heard a couple people allude to Hebrews 4:15, and both went off the rails. We've talked about this before, so let's don't cover that ground again. But there are some difficulties we encounter when we're not careful, and maybe those are worth discussing in more detail.

At some point I made the decision that I'd try to express my thoughts about Scripture in the language of Scripture. I decided to use the words and phrases Scripture uses, rather than using my own. I'm not claiming to be very good at that, but I make the effort. I'm not sure where I got that idea, or when I made that decision, but I have some suspicions.

When I was a university student, I was part of an off-campus Bible study run by Kelly, one of the campus chaplains. Kelly led us through a study of 1 John that was life-changing for me, not because of content, but because of technique. We started the study by independently reading 1 John "as many times as you can over the next week." According to Kelly, when you had read a book of the Bible enough times you could quote it, then you were ready for a Bible study on that book.

I suspect it was Kelly who influenced me to try to use Scriptural words and phrases. 

See, when we express a thought in words, the words then begin to reshape the thought. So when we take a Scriptural idea and put it into words, those words begin to change the Scriptural idea in our own mind. If we're not very careful with our choice of words, we end up going wrong not only in how we express our thoughts, but in what our thoughts actually are.

Here's an example: I've heard many "brethren" refer to Satan as "the prince and the power of the air." That's not what Scripture actually says. Scripture calls Satan "the prince of the power of the air" (Ephesians 2:2, KJV). I'm sure this started out as a simple misquote, but we can see how the ideas aren't at all the same, even if the words sound similar.

Here's another example: just last week I heard someone talking about being "adopted into God's family." You can search all day long, you won't find that verse! Scripture doesn't teach adoption into God's family. It doesn't teach we are children of God by adoption. On the contrary, we are children of God when we have been born [again] of God (John 1:12–13; John 3:3). 

When scripture talks about adoption, it's talking about sonship. Galatians 4:1–5 presents sonship in contrast to childhood (I don't know the right word for that, perhaps childness?). A child might be treated as a servant in his own home, a son cannot be. 

The Spirit of God given to us connects adoption (Romans 8:15) and sonship (Galatians 4:6). 

So the person who talks about being "adopted into God's family" takes two ideas that Scripture presents in contrast and bludgeons them into a single concept. I can't think of a better recipe for spiritual disaster.

There are a great many errors we avoid when we attempt to stick to the actual words of the text.

It's not popular to say it, but the goal of Bible study isn't – or shouldn't be – to ask "how can I apply this to my life?"  A rush to find some sort of application in Scripture seems to be the source of a great many ills. If we could only learn to slow down and savor each word, we might find that God's words carry a great deal more weight and meaning than we might think. We might even find that God's thoughts center not on us at all, but on His Son, Jesus Christ.

Not everything is about us.

I'm afraid we're reaping the harvest of years of carelessness in reading and studying and quoting Scripture. Martin Luther believed the written word of God is so potent that even "one little word will fell [Satan]" We have largely abandoned that respect for the words that God has spoken. We think nothing of putting our own in their place. And I'm not talking about theological liberals, or progressive Christians here! I'm talking about people who believe in "verbal plenary inspiration."

I wrote before about hearing a preacher say, "the wages for sin is death," which is certainly not Scripture. Changing that one preposition from "of" to "for" ruins the argument of Romans 6:15–23. This was a professional preacher, paid to prepare and deliver his sermons. He didn't even seem to notice his mistake.

Well, I'm trying to avoid ranting, but I'm not doing a good job of that. I'm afraid I'm getting pretty close to a full-on rant here. 

So let's wrap this up with an admonition. And make no mistake, I'm saying this as much to myself as to anyone else. Let's act like the Word of God is just that. Let's acknowledge that God has spoken, and has spoken better than we can. Let's make every effort to think and speak in His words, not our own.






12 comments:

HandWrittenWord said...

I absolutely could not agree more.

Robert said...

Scotland was blessed with men who were very careful teachers of the Word in the way you describe. Once they were called home, the next generation started to drip feed phrases like, ‘ that’s what the old brethren used to teach’. In other words, they taught it but we won’t! Then things degenerated further with phrases like, ‘a big word like atonement really just means at one ment’ or ‘justified just means just as if I had never sinned’. And the decline has continued to a point that it’s almost unstoppable.

I visited a brother who handles the scriptures very carefully. He asked me if I believe gospel halls are party of Christendom. I said I have believed that since I was in my 20s. He then said, so you won’t be surprised when I say that the departure from the truth will be seen in them in a way more startling than other parts of Christendom. I think I have lived to see it happen before my eyes.

cg said...

Robert, I could show you a Ritchie published book that states clearly and on several occasions that the Bible is PART OF God. That's the level of illiteracy we need to come to terms with. I've heard too many preachers dismissing as extreme the very men whose work can best help them. So my question is about solutions - where do we go from here?

Robert said...

This blog was started in quest of an assembly where a man could be happy and not have to compromise the truth that he belived. Mark's journey ia on record for us to learn from.

I believe that we will have to accept that our lives will be different from what we perhaps envisaged when we began the race. We will have to accept that we won't have many friends by our side.

We have to look at what we are individually:

2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

Then we have to find others who are like minded:

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

These are perilous times and Satan has stretched out his hand against mankind and the church in particular. The morning star is shining brightly and the Spirit and the bride say, Come.

Susan said...

I never thought the day would come that I would have to walk away from the local church.

Maranatha!!!

Robert said...

I spoke to a 92 year old sister last week who said, "I never thought when the Lord returned I would be out of fellowship". 18 months of Covid nonsense introduced into the church has made her feel she would rather sit in the house by herself.

Susan said...

Leaving was one of the most painful experiences of my life. The seeker sensitive movement and the emergent movement had arrived in the mainline denominations. Unbelievable how bad things are today...

Susan said...

PS. Around the same time I was studying the works of Miles J. Stanford which of course led me to Darby and the early PB's and what a blessing that turned out to be!!!
God is good!!!

Robert said...

1st & 2nd Chronicles represent a major change in the OT narrative. Genesis 3 to 2 Kings 25 is the story of man's responsibility. It is the story of failure and loss. It begins in paradise and ends in Babylon. Those in Babylon lost the throne, the kingdom, the land, the temple, the sacrifices and the priesthood - everything entrusted to them by God. Then we turn the page and in 1 Chronicles 1:1 we read Adam. The story is going to be retold but this time from the standpoint of Divine sovereignty. And there is no loss or failure connected with the purpose of God. Those opening genealogies show how God preserved every line of truth so that a new generation could live in the enjoyment of it all. These are books that teach how recovery comes - by going back. Paradoxically, to go forward with God, men must go back to original truth. David, Hezekiah, Josiah and others found this to be true.

JND in his commentary on Rev 2&3 said that Satan has used one word amongst the churches - development! We have seen this again and again. The pride of man rises to this bait in every generation. The only way forward for us all is to return to first principles. We have lived to see the days of Ahaz with the house of God closed down by Satan and wicked government. May we live to see the days of Hezekiah but it will require repentance, a clearing of the rubbish that has accumulated and a return to sacrificial appreciation of Christ. Revival and recovery is not about what happens in the street but what is done in the sanvtuary.

cg said...

Robert, I agree. But what are the practical steps that must be taken? As far as I can see, each of the branches of the brethren movement and those associated with it are a very pale shadow of what they once were - never mind what they should be. Part of me thinks we just need to start all over again, with old wine in new wineskins, but I don't know what that would look like. I get most spiritual help attending an annual conference run by Kelly-type brethren, even though they would not accept me into fellowship (I did ask). But it's a very long wait from one year to the next.

Robert said...

I am sorry CG that I have taken so long to answer you,

My own view is that we are so far on in the wilderness journey, that we can almost see the shores of Canaan, And therefore starting something new would only bring us more heartache. I was taught by a godly brother, who had great experience of moving internationally amongst gospel halls, ‘have fellowship with what you can’. That has probably been my way around the many obstacles that the current testimony presents.

I have also found in these Covid years a certain settling in my mind that things are too far gone for me to do anything about it, I will be 64 on Tuesday. And so therefore I turn my mind to other things - prophetic truth, understanding more about Calvary, tracing the path of the Saviour in the gospels, appreciating more the two pillars of the church age - a Man in heaven and the Spirit on earth. And seeking to help my children and grandchildren. In Genesis ch1 there was darkness on the face of the deep and the Spirit moved. In Revelation 22 the Spirit is standing, as it were, with the Bride in recognition that nothing more can be done for the darkness of this age, and both say, ‘come Lord Jesus’. We are not far away now!

None of this may help you but I have asked if Mark would consider summarising where he is on his quest,

Susan said...

Keep looking up!

Maranatha!!!