Thursday, September 1, 2022

Bible search update

I've been keeping an eye out for a new Bible for a while now.  My main "carrying Bible" is a little Darby Translation I bought in 1992 from Kingston Bible Trust. So it's just a shade over thirty years now that I've been carrying that Darby.

I picked up an ESV sometime around 2006 and read it through, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I enjoyed reading that translation, but there were just a few quirks that made me decide to keep looking. I posted a review on my blog: "ESV Review". When I first picked up that Bible, I didn't know anyone who used ESV. Now it's hard to find a group of Christians where there's not at least one ESV. 

And honestly, the ESV is a solid translation. I'm delighted to see more and more ESVs, and fewer and fewer NIVs.

Not long after that someone gave me a hand-me-down NASB (1995). NASB was a lot closer to Darby's translation than ESV, so I felt a little bit like I had come home. My wife uses an NASB as her main Bible, and I commented once that if you took an NASB, looked at every place there's a footnote that contains a literal reading, and put that literal reading into the text, you'd pretty much have a Darby Translation. There are a few differences, but the NASB is pretty close to a less literal Darby Translation.

My NASB is a hand-me-down, and it has a lot of notes written in it. And I find them annoying. I felt for a long time like NASB is the closest thing to what I was looking for, but I couldn't quite pull the trigger and buy one.

So I had carried my little Darby for about 14 or 15 years, then I carried that ESV for about a year, then I carried that NASB for about a year, then I switched back to my Darby Translation.

I should mention I have about four Darby Translations at this point: the oldest is a 1973 Stow Hill edition, which is actually quite a nice printing. My original KBT edition is by far my most well-worn, and pages are falling out of it. Then I have two of those KJV-Darby Parallel Bibles that Bible Truth Publishers sells. I carried one to meeting for a couple years, and it's a useful edition, but it's not very well made. The older one has begun to split at the spine, and I have taken good care of it.

Earlier this year a friend of mine showed me his new Legacy Standard Bible, and I decided this is the Bible I've been waiting for. I liked his so much, I went ahead and ordered one myself: I got one of the goatskin editions printed in Korea.

I've made a point of not rushing to judgment on a Bible until I've read it cover-to-cover, so I've been trying not to jump to conclusions until I finished it. But now that I've read it cover-to-cover,  I can say I like it.

LSB is essentially an attempt to make the NASB 1995 a little more literal. If you brought the NASB 1995 to a boil and stirred in a Darby Translation, then baked for an hour in a glass dish at 350°F, you'd get the LSB. 

And I have to say I like it a lot. It's not exactly the Darby Translation I've used as my main Bible for 30 years, but it's really very similar.

So that's just a personal update: I've been looking for a nice Bible for the last 15 years or more, and I've been willing to spend some money, but I haven't quite found what I wanted. Well, I finally bought a nice Bible in a translation that was promising, and I'm very pleased.

A final note: I bought the Korean goatskin LSB. The Dutch goatskin LSB costs about $50 (US) more. My buddy has the Dutch one, and it's noticeably higher quality. I'm pleased as punch with my LSB, so I'm not saying it's not worth what I paid, but now that I've seen both, I think I'd pay a little bit more and get the Dutch printing. 

Just my opinion, and probably worth exactly what you're paying for it.

7 comments:

Robert said...

Well, the clue is in the name - it translates the Hebrew and Greek into American! I ran a few words through Bible Gateway to confirm - it failed on neighbour, judgement, colour and behaviour, so it’s no use to me!

Anyway I agree about us needing to find a Bible that we can read, as opposed to study with or use to preach. Three different asks I think. I am looking for a KJV that is laid out like an NIV.

Susan said...

Mark - You said "My wife uses an NASB as her main Bible" - So do I.

HandWrittenWord said...

Robert -

With regard to your KJV search,
check out

evangelicalbible.com

Anonymous said...

For the last ten years I’ve used a Newberry Bible, Penfold edition. I think you need some critical help to read the Authorized, and Newberry provides that on the page, though it can be a bit busy and takes time to learn to turn on / off at will.

We were recently visiting friends who only use Darby’s translation, so since then I have been trying read only out of my Darby bible. I have a 1976 KBT, extra-large, which formerly belonged to a brother in his 90s, now gone. I am so accustomed to the single-column, paragraph layout of my Newberry, that I find the double-column irritating and hard to follow. If you know of a single-column JND, I’d be grateful to know about it.

Rodger

Anonymous said...

It's worth remembering that Darby only translated the NT himself. The OT was completed by someone else - Whitfield? - after Darby's death, and I think I remember reading that this remaining work was carried out by translating from the French translation rather than the Hebrew and Aramaic texts.

I like Darby on the epistles, but I find his really hard going in historical narratives. I use the 1871 edition, which has the full critical apparatus that drops out of the 1930s and 1960s editions. I picked up my copy in a local charity shop for 2 or 3 pounds - though I had to get it rebound.

Someone recently mentioned to me that some brethren didn't like the ESV because it avoids "dispensation" in Eph 1:10 - but then so did Darby!

cg

Anonymous said...

Sorry the 1889 edition, published in 1920 by Morrish.

clumsy ox said...

Rodger - every once in a while I hear about plans to come up with a "New Darby Translation", but I can't imagine anyone actually doing it.

I've only seen the BTP and KBT printings of Darby's translation, both are set in two columns.

I really do prefer the BTP version, but it's a tiny font. My BTP was the final straw when I gave up pretending my eyes were fine and got glasses :D