Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Pondering

I grew up with various men and women of God frequently hanging out with my parents. I've met, spoken with, and listened to preaching from some monumental folks. No one really famous, but people who obviously spent a lot of time with God.

My cynical side started questioning a few years ago, whether it wasn't so much that they were giants in the Scripture; as it was that I was young and impressionable. So when I found MP3 recordings online of some of the people I met in my living-room, I listened to several of them somewhat eagerly: I wanted to get a sense whether they were as insightful as I remembered.

They were.

That brought up a question in my mind: if the memories of the teaching of the Word of God I have from my childhood and early adulthood are accurate (and apparently they are)... then why don't I see and hear that same sort of teaching and preaching now?

1 comment:

Shan said...

BECAUSE YOUR AVERAGE PEWSITTER DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR IT.

Plus I have a suspicion hardly ANY of those people went to seminary, and seminary is a pre-req nowadays in most churches.